The McAuley Nazareth Home for Boys, or Nazareth as it is known, had its start in Worcester, Massachusetts as an orphanage for boys opened by the Sisters of Mercy in 1865 in response to the high mortality rates of young parents in the area. At its height, the Sisters cared for up to 90 youth. In 1901, the Sisters acquired the Kent Farm in neighboring Leicester, and the Nazareth Home was established in its new location outside of the city. The Sisters incorporated Nazareth in 1967 and renamed it the McAuley Nazareth Home for Boys, Inc. in dedication to their foundress, Mother Catherine McAuley, for her life-long dedication to and compassion for the poor and forgotten. Nazareth transitioned from an orphanage in the 1950s and early 1960s to a milieu treatment center serving troubled youth and their families. This continues to be the heart of Nazareth’s work to this day.
Mother Catherine McAuley
Nazareth is affiliated with the Catholic Diocese of Worcester with Bishop Robert J. McManus as corporator sole. Nazareth's current lay staff carry on the Sisters’ mission and tradition of mercy; to serve, not to be served. Several Sisters, though retired, still serve on the Board of Directors – former Executive Director Sr. Janet Ballentine, former Executive Director Sr. Mary Barry, and nurse Sr. Carol Kell. Monsignor Edmond Tinsley, who gave a lifetime of devotion to Nazareth cultivating its transition from orphanage to treatment center, passed away in September 2015.
Monsignor Edmond Tinsley
The organization is headed by Executive Director, Kim Paré, who is supported by two (2) Program Directors, a Director of Education, a Director of Finance & Development, a Plant/Facilities Manager and two (2) Administrative Assistants. Other staff include an Assistant Program Director, four full-time Social Workers, thirty-eight Child Care Workers & Supervisors, two (2) Special Education Teachers, a Registered Nurse, a janitor and a maintenance staff, as well as a chef.
The five-acre property is situated in a rural setting, surrounded by preservation lands that are part of the Kettlebrook Reservoir System, and only one to two miles from Routes 9, 56, & 122. There are outdoor play areas, a vegetable & flower garden, an in-ground pool, and a full size gymnasium; all which provide ample space for activity, learning, and play. The grounds are occupied by and shared with Archway Inc., a residential program for youth & adults with developmental delays. A large, handicap-accessible administration building includes office space, therapy rooms, classrooms, a small library and a main kitchen. There are four residences attached to the administration building, one houses Archway’s Ellen’s Place Program and the other three residences, with a twenty-eight bed capacity, house the youth residing at Nazareth.